Junior surf is where the journey begins for most clubbies!
Our super popular nippers program caters for kids aged from 6 to 13 years old and is based on water safety, camaraderie and ocean skills.
Running every Sunday from the start of November to mid March, the sessions encourage kids to learn board paddling skills, sea swimming, water treading, hazard recognition and basic lifeguarding skills. Kids benefit from using the swim skills learned with their swim club in an ocean environment, making them stronger and more confident sea swimmers.
The Junior Journey:
- For 6 to 13 year olds, fun sessions that focus on being beach savvy and surf smart. Caters for all levels of experience.
- Members can join in club carnivals and attend the summer holiday program.
- Sundays 10am til approx 11am, conditions dependant, parents are required to stay on the beach with their child/ren.
- For our 12 and 13 year old members to build and develop the foundation for lifeguarding.
- The SLSNZ Rookie Surf Lifeguard programme develops young clubbies and teaches them the fundamentals of being a Lifeguard, including first aid, IRB and radio skills. The Rookie program is delivered by experienced coaches and is the perfect foundation for beginning their Lifeguard training at the age of 14.
- Sundays 10am til 11:30am
- For 10 to 13 year olds who can swim 200m in the ocean.
- The Ocean Athlete squad, caters for kids who are looking for a little bit more than Sunday nippers! Young clubbies enjoy training sessions during the week, holiday training, out of town events, all culminating in the main, 4 day "OCEAN'S" event which is held at Mount Maunganui every year.
- Weekday training sessions work on race craft and fitness as well as speed, technique, wave skills and max fun!
- Junior carnivals are and are great fun, low key, all about having a go and having fun with your mates.
- The prerequisite is to be able to swim 200 metres in the sea and attend weekday training sessions.
Sessions are in the pool, on boards, ocean swimming, body surfing and beach sports with Cory Hutchings, Michelle Mitchell and the team of experienced athlete coaches.
Weekday training is for 10 to 13 year olds and focuses on racing skills, team building and max fun! The ultimate aim for this group is to attend the Regional and National champs at the end of the season. The Ocean's Squad is open to anyone who is 10 years old and has their 200m swim badge, there is no selection criteria...if you're keen, committed and determined...you're in!